Friday, February 24, 2012

Family ties

Sometimes it amazes me how 5 people who were raised in the same household could grow up so different. I guess that makes an argument for nurture vs nature or does it? We all came from the same 'nature' and for the most part had the same 'nurture'. So how does one become an atheist, one a bible thumper, one a cult member, one an athlete and one an activist. I would never say that each of these descriptions is an all-inclusive definition of any one of us as we also have things in common. We all have a strong mid-western work ethic, a love of family and a stubborness when defending our beliefs.

I always believed that conversation and communication were an important part of being human. I love a in-depth discussion with my friend Matt talking about movies we have seen. Coming from different generations we almost always see the movie from a completely different perspective. When we watched "Forrest Gump" I felt nostalgic a
nd he saw a history lesson.

Lately, there seems to be a problem keeping the discussions civil within the family unit. Everything deteriorates into insults, CAPS and hurt feelings. I don't like having some members of my family, extended or otherwise, at odds with each other or, even worse, not willing to talk to or see each other. Some of these behaviors have been going on for a while and some have just bubbled to the surface. Is the younger generation being influenced by the older? (nurture) Is it Facebook that is really the enemy? I would like people to remember that gossip is NOT A FACT. If you were not there, don't assume the first story you hear about something is the truth. There are always 2 sides (or maybe even more).


My mother was a great peace maker. I think if she were still here with us that a lot of this would not be happening. I also believe that if she were alive, she would be supportive of my effort at Occupy Wall Street and even participate in the effort to make this country and this world a better place to live in. She was like that. Happy Birthday Mom, a few days early but I have been thinking about you a lot lately. I hope you got the note I sent on the smoke of the palm fire tied to the strings of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment