Wednesday, October 12, 2011

#ows, occupy wall street

Near the end of day 12 I encountered my first police officer harrasment.  I was standing, by myself, near the big red cube sculpture waiting for a working group I joined on Sunday.  Many had held meetings in this area because it was a quiet space and the noise in the park sometimes made it hard to hear others in your group.  He approached me and said I couldn't be there.  I tried to ask him a question about possibly staying there long enough to redirect people to another meeting spot and he just kept interupting me saying I needed to leave.  The situation kept changing as people arrived for our meeting and at one point he said stay.  Within 10 minutes of our group finally getting together, about 8 officers and 3 white shirts showed up.  At this point I just walked away, confrontation tends to make me nauseous so I fled leaving the others to deal with them.  I wish I had the guts (literally) to stay and defend the rights of the people to assemble but there was a lawyer there so I think it was handled. 

I believe that this is just another example of how "they" are trying to discourage the movement.  For the last 2 nights in a row, a construction crew has been using a jack hammer during our GA.  It feels like it is very calculated.  We have to stay strong and stand tall in these times until EVERYONE wakes up.

1 comment:

  1. It was terrific meeting you at #OWS today, keep up the great work! (Theresa, borrowing Prudie's acct.)

    ReplyDelete